The Early Learning Center at The Hearing & Speech Center (HSC) offers full day Kindergarten/Transitional Kindergarten, as well as extended childcare. This classroom meets all core academic standards for the State of Kentucky.
Transitional Kindergarten is designed for students who would typically not meet the October 1 cutoff to be enrolled in most kindergarten programs and will attend kindergarten the following school-year. Students will receive the same instruction as the Kindergarten students and although their progress will be tracked they will not be graded. Transitional Kindergarten students and kindergarten students are combined in the same classroom and benefit greatly from each other. Transitional Kindergarten students are exposed to kindergarten core skills but are not expected to master those skills.
Benefits of the Kindergarten/Transitional Kindergarten Program include:
- Full Day Instruction 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Small classroom size (1:8 ratio)
- Inclusive classroom (all children learning together)
- Starfall Reading and Language Arts Curriculum
- Harcourt Math and Science Curriculum
- In house field trips
- Individual, small group and large group instruction daily
- Center based learning activities
- Additional instruction in music, visual arts, physical education, and computer
- Collaborative programming with community organizations
- Before and after school care available (additional fee)
- Access to individual speech and language therapy and hearing services onsite
- Serving children with hearing loss and speech/language delays and community children
- Sound fields in every classroom (evenly distributes teacher’s voice across the classroom)
All children who receive speech/language or audiology services from HSC are eligible to apply for a tuition scholarship.